the wonderful and exciting world of miniatures

the wonderful and exciting world of miniatures

Thursday, June 19, 2008

The Lives and Deaths of the Boxes

A lot of these boxes deal with death (and, by proxy, life).
Death and life in all shapes and forms: the physical death of a person (an hommage to them) to their death from your life (the ceremony of letting go of them, but if I am putting them away in boxes, am I really letting go of them? I am recontextualizing their death as a part of a scenario that I am creating); the decay of life and nature's ability to transform what is dead into something that is useful, rendering it alive in some way, keeping the chain going, everything can be used - nothing is gained, nothing is lost, everything is transformed (Lavoisier's Law of Energy). This is why I recycle, I perpetuate the act of transformation, so that nature doesn't have to do all the work, over thousands of years. If you can give a new purpose to something, an object, a feeling, anything, that has been discarded, then you can allow it to become more important, you can allow it to live again in another lifetime of use. The thing which you have saved becomes charged with a new type of energy, and everytime that you use it, it gains more energy. It gains life. These things bring us closer to discover ourselves because they show us parts of ourselves which we don't normally have access to (opening doors...). At this point in time, I could start writing an essay about how things (for lack of a better word at this point in time) in the world relate to each other, but I got to hit up some galleries today, to promote the show we (my studiomates and I) will be having next friday.

No comments: